Thursday, September 23, 2010

Vulnerable


I looked down at her and saw that look in her eye, the one that spoke a thousand words. The one that was allowing me to see how vulnerable she was with tears in her eyes. The one that let me read her thoughts without touching her lips. But I knew that’s exactly what she wanted just then.
I saw her eyes drift down my face, then dart to my eyes again, embarrassed. She was only inches from me, with my am wrapped around her like it was. I should’ve known better than to let myself get this comfortable with her again. But I couldn't help it. This is how we'd always been.
Her mouth parted slightly and she her eyes slipped closed. I knew what she expected and I wanted nothing more than to take her up on this offer. But if I did, if I kissed her, I would confirm all the stories in my head and I couldn’t deal with that. Instead of letting my instincts take over, I did the one thing I least wanted to ever do; I turned away and hurt her in one of the most vulnerable moments I’d ever seen her in.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the look of dejection on her face. I cringed inside. Her face fell to my shoulder and I felt the first tremor from her.
And then the tears began to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment