Monday, November 15, 2010

You Know Your Life Sucks When...

Third time this week. How do you get pulled over three times in one week?
"Hey there buddy, why'd you run that red light?" the officer asked, peering at me through my window.
"Honestly, I have no idea." That was the truth too. I could have stopped really, but I assumed the yellow would have stayed longer than it did. They usually were on State Street.
"All right, well I'm going to need your license and registration and all the fun stuff." I yanked my wallet out and gave him my driver's license. As I leaned over to the glove compartment, he continued to talk.
"So," he paused for a moment, "Mitchell is it? Were you preoccupied with something or what was going on?"
I sat back in my seat and handed him the papers. "Actually, yeah I was. My girlfriend of almost two years just got back from Cuba and told me she cheated on me the entire time she was there and now is waiting for him to come back to the US next month when he's finished his internship. So yeah, my mind is definitely not on driving right now. I'm just trying to pay for a ticket I got last week so I can go home to sleep."
"That sucks man, sorry to add this ticket too, but that's life." And he walked off to his motorcycle. Flipping up the seat, he brought the cop computer out and started typing in my information.
"They have the computer in their seat? That is so cool," I muttered to myself before turning to look at the front to wait.
I heard his footsteps before his voice. "All right look. I have to give you a ticket; you blatantly ran a red light. I can't not ticket you for that. But I can't. I can't bring myself to doing it. You got a ticket for going 4 over on a hill? That's a stingy officer. I never have liked Officer Carlson, but keep that to yourself. And you got a ticket for your back lights being out. Your week has sucked. I can't write you up."
I stared at him in shock. He continued. "I hope you know how bad I feel for you, man. I've only ever not given a ticket to someone twice. Once because his wife was in labor and screaming and the other time was less than a mile away from the hospital and she had her son in the back with a broken arm jutting out of his skin. Count yourself lucky."
"Oh, I do Officer. Thanks, I guess."
"Kid, whatever you're doing wrong, fix it. Obviously you aren't doing something right if your week has been this bad. My suggestion to you is just to be good." He tapped the top of my car twice before walking back to his bike.
I sat there for a moment, still shocked. "That was the most bizzare thing..."
I pulled out onto the road again and laughed humorlessly. "You know your life sucks when after talking to a cop for a few minutes, he won't ticket you for blatantly running a red light."

No comments:

Post a Comment